Tofu & Oriental Mushroom Steak
Shake up your mid-week meal with our vegan tofu and mushroom steak.
Method (serves 2)
• Wrap the tofu with a clean cloth or paper towel. Place a plate or small chopping board on top of the tofu to squeeze our any excess water. Leave for 15 minutes.
• Unwrap the tofu, it should be firm. Slice into 8-10 pieces, 1cm thick.
• For the mushroom sauce, slice the mixed mushrooms into pieces.
• In a heavy pan, saute the ginger with vegetable oil. Add the mushrooms and pour over with sake. Put the lid on for a minute to allow the mushrooms to steam.
• Add in the mirin and soy sauce. Cook for another 3 minutes until the mushrooms are softened. Remove from the heat.
• Coat the slices of tofu with cornflour. Pan fry in a hot non-stick pan with vegetable oil until light golden brown on each side.
• Pour the mushroom sauce over the tofu. Turn off the heat, the tofu will continue to cook as it sets.
• Garnish with chopped chives and toasted sesame seeds.
- 1 block (350g-400g) Firm tofu
- 250g Mixed oriental mushrooms
- 3tbs Sake
- 3tbsp Mirin
- 2bsp Soy sauce
- 2cm Piece of ginger
- Vegetable oil
- Chopped chives
- Toasted sesame seeds
- Try any combination of oriental mushrooms: shiitake, enoki, shimeji, oyster or king oyster.
Recipes created by Yuki Gomi in conjuction with Yakult