Spicy Soba Noodles
A wonderfully refreshing soba noodle dish, perfect for a hot summer’s day!
Method (serves 2)
• Put 700ml of boiling water in a deep pot.
• Soak Kombu and Shiitake mushrooms for 30 minutes in the hot water.
• Remove the mushrooms out of the water, squeezing hard, leaving any absorbed water in the pot.
• Bring the dashi to a boil. Take out the kombu. Add soy sauce, mirin and toasted sesame oil. Remove from heat and cool down.
• Bring the dashi to a boil. Add soy sauce, mirin and toasted sesame oil. Remove from heat and cool down.
• Cook the noodles for 4 – 5 minutes in 1 litre of boiling water.
• When foam starts to appear, add ¼ cup of cold water to avoid it boiling over
• Drain the noodles and wash them under cold running water.
• Place the noodles in a soup bowl.
• Place kimchi on top of the soba noodles.
• Garnish to your own taste.
• Pour over the Tsuyi (Dashi) soup.
- 150 – 200g Dried soba noodles
- 60g Kimchi
- 4 Dried Shiitake Mushrooms
- 1-2 Dried Kombu
- 3tbsp Japanese light soy sauce
- 1tbsp Mirin
- 1tsp toasted sesame oil
- 1litre water
- 1 diced tomato
- 2 poached eggs
- 1tbs chopped chives
- If you prefer a hot noodle soup, keep the dashi soup hot without cooling.
- You can try different types of noodles including udon, soba, rice or egg noodles.
Recipes created by Yuki Gomi in conjuction with Yakult