Mizuna Fresh Spring Rolls ‘Nama Harumaki’
‘Nama’ translates as raw and ‘Harumaki’ as Spring Rolls; they are light and perfect for Spring and Summer. This recipe has three tasty filling options: poached salmon, prawn, and avocado and carrot.
Method (serves 2 - 6 rolls)
• Peel the ginger and set the peeled skins to one side. Put the peeled ginger into a blending bowl.
• Cut away the whiter stalks of the mizuna green leafy tops. Put the green leaves in the blending bowl. Discard or set the stalks aside to use as a filling for the spring rolls.
• Add all the remaining Salsa Verde ingredients to the mixing bowl and blend with a food processor into a fine paste. Set aside.
Sesame Mustard Sauce
• Put all the ingredients into a small bowl. Mix them together well, until creamy. If it is too thick, try adding a little water.
Poached Salmon Filling
• Fill a pan with water,throw in the ginger peels and bring to the boil.
• Add the salmon fillets and poach for 6-10 minutes.
• Take the fillets out of the water, place onto a kitchen roll on a plate and pat dry.
• Flake the salmon into small pieces. Divide the salmon flakes into 3 portions , ready to use for each roll.
• Bring a pot of water to the boil. Add the prawns and cook for 30-60 seconds. Drain and set aside.
Vegetarian Filling option
• Half the avocado and slice thinly. Slice the carrots, julienne. Set both to one side.
• Cut the radishes into fine slices.
• Chop the mizuna into 5cm lengths, ready for the rolls.
• Place the rice sheets one by one in a flat bowl of lukewarm water for max. 10 seconds.
• Place the soft sheet on a chopping board.
• Put single slices of radish in the centre of the sheet.
• On top of this, place 2-3 tablespoons of your chosen filling.
• Top this with the chopped mizuna and a tablespoon of crispy fried onions.
• To form the roll, fold the left and right sides over the top of the ingredients toward the centre, so they are not quite touching. Bring the lower part of the sheet up to the centre. Fold down the remaining top part of the sheet to seal.
• Enjoy with the Salsa Verde and Sesame Mustard dipping sauce.
Mizuna Yuzu Salsa Verde
• A clove of Garlic
• 2cm (1 tsp) Ginger
• A handful of Coriander leaves or fresh Shiso leaves
• 1 tsp Rice vinegar
• 2tbsp Soy sauce
• 60ml Olive oil or Sunflower oil
• 2 tbsp Yuzu juice or Lemon juice
• 20g Mizuna
• 1 tsp Sugar
• 1 tsp Dijon Mustard
Sesame Mustard Sauce
• 1 ½ tbsp Tahini
• 1 tsp Light brown sugar
• 1 tbsp Soy sauce
• 2 tbsp Rice vinegar
• 1 tsp English mustard
• 1-2 tbsp Water
Spring Roll Fillings
• 6 Dried round rice paper sheets
3 different Fillings (choose two)
• 100-150g Salmon fillet, a fillet
• 4 king prawns, peeled, cooked or raw
• ½ Avocado & 1 Carrot (alternative veggie filling for 6 rolls)
• Ginger skins, (ginger peel used from sauce)
• 150g Mizuna
• 6 tbsp Crispy fried onions
• 4-5 Radishes
• Mizuna Alternative: Rocket
• You can use other types of seasonal, sustainable fish too: cod, haddock, tuna, sea bass, seabream or tinned tuna.
• Instead of dipping the rice sheet, you can lay it flat, ready for rolling and spray it with water first.
Recipe created by Yuki Gomi in conjuction with Yakult