Feta and Pomegranate Buckwheat Salad
A sensory sensation - this recipe is not only a mouth-watering meal, but a feast for the eyes too, with the beautiful array of colourful ingredients, it’s sure to be as good as it looks!
Method (serves 2)
- Rinse the buckwheat thoroughly in cold water.
- Bring 750mls of water to the boil.
- Add buckwheat, stir and cover with a lid, on a low heat, simmering for 20 minutes until most of the water has been absorbed. Add in the parsley or mint.
- Remove from the heat, drain off excess water and let stand for 10 minutes.
- When ready, separate the grains with a fork.
- Add in crumbled feta cheese, sprinkle on the pomegranate seeds.
- Use a spiralizer or a potato peeler to create thin, long courgette strips, add to mixture.
- Stir in diced pepper; mix all ingredients well.
• 150g buckwheat
• 1 whole – (seeds only) or 160g pomegranate
• 1 handful parsley or mint
• 60g feta cheese, crumbled
• 1 courgette, medium sized, cut into strips
• 1 sweet pepper – medium sized orange, diced
Try blue cheese instead of feta
Try using a different grain, such as quinoa
If you don’t want pomegranate try cranberries (80g fresh or 13g dried per person)
Recipe devised by Registered Dietitian and Nutritionist Alison Clark for the 2015 Gut Week Campaign