Beef and Coconut Curry
Loved by all, this winter warming curry with a tropical twist of coconut is a sure fire winner; serve with your favourite cooked rice. It will provide approximately 1 of your 5 a day too!
Method (serves 2)
- Combine all the spices, including the chillies or chilli powder and salt together and fry in the oil on a low heat until the fragrance is released.
- In a bowl combine the cornflour and ground black pepper to coat the beef strips, set aside.
- Cook the meat in the spice mixture until browned, stirring occasionally.
- Add in the diced vegetables and cook until tender.
- Add in coconut milk and stir until heated through.
• 200g beef strips
• 1-2 tsp cornflour
• Ground black pepper – to taste
• 2 tbsp garlic infused olive oil
• 1 inch ginger, peeled and chopped
• 1 tsp cumin powder
• 1 tsp coriander powder
• 1 tsp turmeric powder
• Fresh chillies or chilli powder – to taste
• 1 pepper, diced
• 1 courgette, diced
• 200ml coconut milk
• A pinch of salt
Use other meats or fish as per liking
Instead of coconut milk, add in 250mls passata or tinned tomatoes
Use a red or green chilli if you like extra spice!
Recipe devised by Registered Dietitian and Nutritionist Alison Clark for the 2015 Gut Week Campaign