Skip to content

What is calcium?

Calcium is the most abundant mineral found in the body. Most calcium (99%) is stored within bones, while the remaining 1% is found in the blood and tissues.

The recommended nutritional intake for adults is 700mg a day.* However, the amount of calcium required by the human body depends on a number of variables such as age, gender and pregnancy. (A glass of milk can provide up to 20% of our recommended daily intake of calcium.)

What does it do?

The calcium in the blood is vital for a number of functions including nerve function, as well as vascular and muscular contraction. Calcium along with other minerals (such as magnesium) and vitamins (especially vitamin D) are essential for the structure and function of bones.

Good sources of calcium

Dairy products such as milk and cheese, green leafy vegetables such as kale and broccoli, and fish such as sardines and pilchards.

Did you know?

A number of foods are fortified with calcium to help support those following specific diets.


* Department of Health, Dietary Reference Values for Food Energy and Nutrients for the United Kingdom, HMSO, 1991

Back to top