Smoked salmon and poached eggs with hollandaise sauce
If you have a romantic occasion coming up, this is surely the breakfast to cook. It is, quite simply, sublime.
Method (serves 2)
- Place the 2 egg yolks in a glass bowl over a gently simmering pan of water and beat until pale.
- Add half the juice of the lemon and beat again for 10 seconds.
- Drop by drop, add the melted butter to the yolks, beating well throughout.
- When the mixture starts to thicken you can add the butter in a steady stream, whisking constantly.
- Taste, season with salt and pepper and add more lemon if required.
- Remove the pan from the heat with the bowl still on top until you’re ready to serve.
- To poach the eggs, bring a frying pan two thirds full of water to the boil and add the vinegar.
- Lower to a simmer, and gently crack the eggs into the water on opposite sides of the pan.
- Cook for about 4 minutes, until the whites are just firm.
- Toast and lightly butter the two halves of the muffin, and place face up on each plate.
- Place half the smoked salmon on each, followed by the poached egg, and then top the whole thing with a good spoonful of hollandaise.
- 4 Slices smoked salmon
- 2 Eggs
- 2 Egg yolks
- 100g Butter
- 1 Lemon
- 1 English muffin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp Vinegar