This classic breakfast is great for a special treat or weekend.
Method (serves 2)
- Steam the spinach while melting the butter for the hollandaise sauce.
- Place the 2 egg yolks in a glass bowl over a gently simmering pan of water and beat until pale.
- Add half the juice of the lemon and beat again for 10 seconds.
- Drop by drop, add the melted butter to the yolks, beating well throughout.
- When the mixture starts to thicken you can add the butter in a steady stream, whisking constantly.
- Taste, season with salt and pepper and more lemon if required.
- Remove the pan from the heat with the bowl still on top until you’re ready to serve.
- Poach two eggs and arrange on top of the steamed spinach.
- Pour the hollandaise on top and serve with hot, buttered, toast or muffins.
- 4 Large handfuls of spinach
- 2 Eggs
- 2 Egg yolks
- 100g Butter
- 1 Lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Toast or muffins to serve