Banana bread works best with over ripe bananas which you might be thinking about throwing away.
Method (makes 1 loaf)
- Preheat the oven to 160ºC and line a loaf tin with baking paper.
- Cream the butter with the sugar in a bowl or in a food processor.
- Add the eggs one at a time and then the vanilla.
- If it curdles, add a handful of the flour.
- Fold in the flour and mashed banana (this can all be done in a food processor until smooth).
- Pour the mixture into the loaf tin.
- Bake for 1 hour and check that it is cooked through by skewering the centre and seeing if it comes out clean.
- This cake will keep for a few days in an airtight container.
- You can add chopped walnuts or chocolate drops before baking for variation.
- 2 Ripe bananas, mashed
- 170g Golden caster suger
- 170 g Unsalted butter
- 170g Self raising flour
- 3 Large eggs
- ¼ tsp Vanilla paste or a few drops of vanilla extract