Coconut rice with toasted banana
This breakfast will transport you to a white beach on a blue sea, possibly under the shade of a palm tree. It is hard to believe anyone can dislike the taste of a cooked banana! This is a great start to any day.
Method (Serves 4)
- Wash the rice and add to a pan with the cinnamon, cardamom, salt, coconut milk and water.
- Simmer for about 15 minutes until the rice is cooked, stirring occasionally and adding more water if required.
- In a frying pan, heat the butter and add the bananas, peeled and sliced down the middle.
- Cook on one side and then turn over and add the sugar, shaking the pan to coat the bananas in the sugary butter.
- Serve the rice in bowls with half a banana on top of each and grate over a little lime zest.
- 250g Basmati rice (red rice or pudding rice will also work)
- 400ml Coconut milk
- 200ml Water
- Stick of cinnamon
- 5 Cardamom pods
- Pinch of salt
- 2 Bananas
- 25g Butter
- 25g Sugar
- Zest of 1 lime