Turkish spiced eggs with halloumi
The contrasting exotic flavours in this dish make it a real weekend treat. The lemon and chilli bite through the halloumi and the mellow richness of the eggs. A great breakfast for two.
Method (serves 2)
- Heat a pan of water in which to poach the eggs.
- In a bowl, mix the yogurt with the zest and juice of ½ a lemon.
- In a frying pan, heat the butter and gently fry the chilli and cumin, and when fragrant remove from the heat and add the dill.
- Return the pan to the heat and fry the halloumi until golden brown on each side.
- Simultaneously, poach the eggs and then serve on warm plates as follows:
- 2 slices of halloumi each topped with the chilli butter, a dollop of yogurt and then the egg on top with more yogurt and a drizzle of the butter to round it off.
- Serve with some delicious bread.
- 2 Eggs
- 250g Halloumi in 4 slices – dusted in plain flour
- 150ml Greek yoghurt
- ½ Clove garlic
- Lemon zest and juice of ½ lemon
- 5g Dill
- ½ tsp Red chilli
- ¼ tsp Cumin seeds
- 25g Butter
- Salt and pepper to taste