Lemon French toast with nectarine and basil
In high summer the Mediterranean flavours of basil and nectarine are a special treat at breakfast time. Try to find unwaxed lemons for the most authentic Sicilian taste.
Method (serves 1)
- Cut the nectarine into slices and sprinkle the sugar over it while you make the French toast.
- Mix the egg and milk and lemon zest together in a wide, shallow bowl.
- Dip the brioche slices into the egg mixture, making sure both sides are covered.
- Drop the slices into a hot frying pan with melted butter in it.
- Fry on either side until brown and then serve cut into triangles.
- Serve with the nectarine slices and a few basil leaves scattered on top along with any juice which has escaped from the nectarines.
- 2 Slices of brioche
- 1 Egg, beaten
- 1 tbsp Milk
- 25g Butter
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 Nectarine
- 20g Sugar
- Basil leaves
- Energy: 560.3Kcal
- Protein: 12.9g
- Carbohydrates: 55.3g
- of which sugars: 36.8g
- Fat: 31.9g
- Fibre: 2.1g
- Salt: 1.2g
Approx. nutritional figures per serving size of 180g.